Want to increase the value of your home? Of course you do. A simple way to accomplish this is to remodel your kitchen. Remodeling Magazine’s 2011-12 Cost vs. Value Report stated that “midrange minor kitchen remodels or “cosmetic” changes — new countertops, cabinet fronts, a few new appliances, light fixtures and hardware — have an average national cost of $20,000 and get 72 percent return on investment.”
We understand that you probably don’t have $20,000 to spend on your kitchen right now. That is okay because there are multiple ways you can upgrade your kitchen for a total of under $2,000. Even if don’t want to sell your house any time soon, these are simple and inexpensive ways to transform your kitchen to give it a new, fresh and improved look.
The key to spending a minimal amount of money to upgrade your kitchen is to pick a couple key elements you want to focus on and improve. You cannot just gut your whole kitchen and not expect to drop a significant amount of money.
1. Purchase a new appliance – You can upgrade one or two of your kitchen appliances very inexpensively ($200 or less). If your appliances are a little outdated and unstylish, consider purchasing a new microwave or mixer. Pick a color that stands out or a color that matches your kitchen walls.
2. Cabinets – If you want new cabinets, it’ll end up putting you in the $20,000 range. You can change the look and feel of your cabinets by painting them or choosing a new varnish. Consider replacing some of the old handes to a more modern style of hardware to make it stand out.
3. Paint your walls – One way to make your kitchen look different is to paint all of the walls. Even if you want to keep the same color, a fresh coat of paint will brighten the room.
4. Change out your linens – Old and ugly linens will make your kitchen look extremely dreary. Replace the old rug by the sink. If your old dish towels are bringing you down, get brand new and decorative towels. Replace your old and boring window drapes with brand new and vibrantly colored drapes.
5. Move things around – Rearranging your appliances can give your kitchen a great new look. If you have a table in your kitchen, think about moving it out to give yourself a more spacious look. You might even consider removing everything from your countertops entirely. Adding a framed picture or painting to your kitchen can change the mood as well.